Whether you’re looking for a new phone or want to save money and buy a used phone, it’s important to know what you’re getting. Buying a used or refurbished smartphone can present several advantages over purchasing a new one: You can save money on your monthly bill, for example.
But there are also potential pitfalls when buying used phones online, like purchasing from untrustworthy sellers or accidentally buying stolen goods. There are some things you should consider before making your purchase.
9 things to consider before buying a used mobile phone
If you’re considering buying a used phone, there are some things to consider first:
Do your homework.
It’s important to do your research before you buy a used phone. Many people make the mistake of not doing enough research and get stuck with something they don’t like or can’t use. Here are some things you need to research:
- Check what kind of phone you want.
- Check different stores and websites for prices of that type of phone (you may find better deals this way)
- Check out the specs and features on those phones (this will help you get an idea about whether or not it’s worth buying)
- Check for price comparison sites (they usually offer good deals on more expensive products like phones)
- Make sure you’re getting a good deal. It doesn’t matter if you’re buying from the store down the street or on eBay. Check the prices of other sellers to see if they’re offering something similar for less money.
- Look into warranties and guarantees when making your choice. Some cheap used phones don’t come with any guarantee, which means that if something goes wrong with your device after purchase. If possible, try negotiating the extra costs into your price by asking whether or not certain warranty options are included.
- Consider comparing prices online versus physical stores; both have their advantages. Physical stores might offer better customer service options, such as exchanging faulty devices within a short period. At the same time, online shopping has its set advantages.
Check the physical condition.
Before you buy, take a close look at the phone. It’s a good idea to check for damage in various parts of the device, including
- The screen (for cracks)
- The back of the phone (for scuffs and scratches)
- The speakers and the microphone (if applicable).
Check out these tips for more info on how to do this.
Check for any repairs or damage.
- Check for any repairs or damage. You probably don’t want a phone that was dropped or had water damage. Check for cracks or scratches, and look for any signs of liquid in the charging port, headphone jack, and volume buttons.
- Make sure your phone is in good shape before buying it! If you’re unsure how to check this out, let us help you with our free diagnostics service.
Buy from a trusted seller or individuals.
If you buy from a seller, you can ask about their reputation to determine if they’re reliable and trustworthy. If you plan on buying from someone online, ask for their contact information and research their feedback. Look at the item description carefully and ensure it matches what’s listed in the photos.
The Mobile Market is one of the trusted phone repair retailers in Airdrie. You can also check their services if you are looking for a trusted store.
Ask for the original accessories.
If you’re buying a used phone, it’s important to consider whether or not the seller has all the original accessories. It includes the charger and other items that came with the phone (e.g., headphones).
Know your warranty coverage and requirements
It’s important to know what kind of warranty coverage you’re entitled to and how your warranty applies in the event of accidental damage. Some manufacturers offer limited warranties that cover only manufacturing defects, while others will cover both manufacturing defects and unintentional harm.
When you’re buying a used phone, it’s important to remember that the return policy is just as important as the price. If there are any flaws or issues with your purchase, you should be able to return it within 48 hours or less. The return policy should also be clearly stated and easy to understand.
Make sure the phone is not stolen.
If you buy a used phone, ensure the phone is not stolen. Many phones get lost or stolen daily, and their owners never get them back. If you buy a stolen phone, you could be held responsible if it is reported as lost or stolen by its original owner. There are many easy ways to check if a used phone is genuine and not stolen:
- Ask for the IMEI number and check with your network provider to see if it’s valid (make sure they let you do this)
- Check that the box contains all parts of the device (charger/headphones etc.)
- If possible, ask for proof-of-ownership documents such as receipts or warranty cards
This is a big decision. You must research and consider the details before buying a used phone. There are many benefits to purchasing a phone, but some risks exist.
Is it better to buy a used or refurbished phone?
Generally, a used smartphone does not have a warranty. Unlike a used phone, a refurbished phone has been tested and repaired and comes with a warranty.
Is it worth buying a used phone?
According to the phone repair specialist suggestion, buying a used is a great way to get a phone without the high price tag. It may also be more convenient than buying new. You can save money on monthly payments, insurance, data plans, accessories and repairs.
Read more interesting articles at Mr Business 360